October 12, 2018 @ 1:00 pm - 2:15 pm
Faculty Lunchtime Conversation: In-class Group Activities for a Flipped Classroom
Faculty and teaching assistants are invited to join an informal lunchtime conversation on aspects of in-class group activities for a flipped classroom, with or without technology. One aim of this lunchtime conversation is for faculty to share and discuss their experiences, challenges, and solutions to teaching challenges.
Discussion topics include:
- What is an in-class activity that you have tried, or would like to try, that makes use of group activities or technology?
- What are some challenges and solutions to preparing in-class group activities?
Sharing by Prof. Katrine Wong (DCTLE/FAH)
- Peer Feedback on Presentations with Group Chat
Date: Friday, 12 October 2018
Time: 1:00 – 2:15 pm
Light refreshments will be provided.
• Five Things to Consider in Making Student Group Work More Effective and Fun
• Designing In-class Activities for Flipped Classroom: A Step-by-step Guide, HKU Teaching and Learning Blog
• Implementing Group Work in the Classroom
• Flipped Learning at HKU (LLAW 1005), https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4aPQMETi08
• Effective Group Work in the College Classroom, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-_zW4wUl5w
• Flipped Classroom @ HKU, https://flippedclassroom.hku.hk
• Flipped Classrooms: a Review of Key Ideas and Recommendations for Practice, https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10648-015-9356-9
**Participation in this workshop will be documented as equivalent of one hour of Professional Development for Teaching and Learning (applicable to UM Academic Staff only).**